The Amazing Benefits Of Herbs, Tea And Nuts
June 5 is World Environment Day, reminding us of our duty as human beings to ensure that our environment remains healthy and pure. But while keeping our surroundings clean does contribute to good health, we should not ignore our diet
The COVID-19 pandemic and the ensuing lockdown has brought the power of proper nutrition to strengthen our immune system into sharp focus worldwide. While there is no magic pill to immediately boost our immunity, there are some tried and tested methods which are known to help protect and strengthen our body’s natural immune system.
Herbs and tea
Teas made or mixed with healthy ingredients like dried herbs, fruits, seeds and roots plays not only plays a major role in building our immune system, they also bring relief from pain and inflammation. Loaded with several medicinal properties, there are several versions of these teas found around the globe, each with its own beneficial properties.
Also Read| Nutrition Tips To Promote Thyroid Health
· Relax and rejuvenate: Some herbal teas, like Tulsi, green tea, peppermint and chamomile help us recoup and revive, and act as a natural alternative to medicinal supplements to cope with fatigue, anxiety and stress.
· Protect and heal: The vitamins and antioxidants found in several herbal tea blends, such as Elderberry, echinacea, ginger and liquorice root tea—help us boost our immunity, fight infections and diseases, and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
· Helps in digestion: Herbals teas like chamomile, cinnamon, peppermint and ginger help us cope with indigestion by breaking down fat into simple molecules, and speeding up the digestion process. They can also ease bloating and nausea.
· Lowers pressure: Herbal teas like hibiscus can help lower and regulate blood pressure without affecting the kidney and kidney and heart. Use it as a natural home remedy to treat blood pressure.
· Watch your weight: Herbal teas like lemongrass, fennel and psyllium husk can speed up your metabolism and burn fat. A cup more every day will help you lose fat naturally.
· Age gracefully; The high levels of anti-oxidants, particularly in green,, Oolong, and Matcha teas help delay ageing by fighting the damage caused by free radicals and restoring the age of our cells. They also contribute to clear and a healthy skin.
Nuts over nuts
Incorporating just a handful of nuts in our daily diet can truly work miracles for our body. Just like herbal teas, each nut has its own specific nutritional benefits. Given the fears over the pandemic and concerns over our immunity, let’s look at just one specific nut: Walnut. Here’s why:
· Walnuts contain a high amount of Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid (PUFA), which help cut LDL, or bad cholesterol level in our body.
· They contain ‘alpha- tocopherol’, which plays a major role in boosting our immune system, and helps prevent blood-clots.
· Studies have shown that endothelial function improves significantly after consumption of a healthy diet consisting of walnuts, especially in diabetic patients and those suffering from hypercholesterolemia.
Also Read| Try These Natural Immune System Boosters
· Walnuts have also been found to increase the insulin response during an oral glucose tolerance test, and to decrease levels of glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c), a marker of 3-month average blood sugar levels.
· Walnuts have been found helpful in contributing to satiety, which helps control appetite and regulate our calorie intake.
Diet Tip: Add roughly 30gm in 12-14 half pieces (1 closed fistful) of walnuts to your daily diet. You won’t regret it.